Monday 1 April 2013

Protecting Floors From a Treadle Sewing Machine

Since I first got my sewing machine I wondered how I would protect my hardwood floors from it.

A treadle sewing machine is a heavy lump of metal and wood all supported on little wheels, little teeny tiny wheels that take all that weight and are going to wreck havoc on virtually any floor covering. The wheels presumably are there so that one an roll the machine around, which itself I find a tad crazy with such a heavy piece of furniture.


Our machine has lived on an old rug, which just didn't look great on our nice floors. So I did a bit of hunting and found these great little floor protectors


They are made from really thick solid plastic and with a thick felt pad on the underside they should be just the thing to keep those wheels from scratching the floor while still keeping that bare floor look.



The Nitty Gritty:

  • I bought these floor protectors from ebay - use the search term 'castor cups' and you will find a wide range available. They cost about £3 for a set of 4.
  • My treadle is a 1923 singer in a 5 drawer cabinet. I got it for free via gumtree, there are plenty more out there if you are willing to do a bit of work getting them working again.
You might like to see my other posts about my singer treadle:

1 comment :

  1. Oh how I wish I'd kept my old singer treadle machine, I had one way back in the late 70s but discarded it in favour of modernity. Silly silly silly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I have some of those floor protectors, they're also very useful for beds with castors as I discovered when first making the bed in our new home with solid floors! I was chasing the bed all over the place. Mine came from B&Q

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they really make my day! I try to respond when I can.

I moderate all comments to cut out the stinky spam. So please be patient if it hasn't popped up immediately.

If you ask a question remember to check back for an answer later.

Thank-you, you wonderful peeps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...